Please Click Here to download a copy of our Parent Letter on Mandatory Face Covering
18 September 2020
Dear Parents and Carers,
In view of local restrictions in the North East of England, face coverings will become mandatory in communal areas of the school, for students, staff and visitors, from Monday 21.9.20.
The school already has in place several measures to minimise contacts between people and to enhance personal hygiene and cleaning. The advice of Public Health England is that these measures will have the most impact in mitigating against the transmission of Covid-19. It, therefore, remains the case that all students must adhere to the strict social distancing and enhanced hygiene rules that have already been implemented. The introduction of face coverings is an additional mitigation and should not be viewed as an alternative to the measures we have established this term.
So far this term, I have been extremely proud of the way the school community has adapted to the new systems in school and I would like to commend students for their outstanding conduct.
As communicated in my letter at the start of term, masks must be completely plain in design and black or white in colour. Students may wear the widely available standard blue/white disposable masks, but we are discouraging their use for environmental reasons.
From Monday 21st September, students, staff and visitors are required to wear a face covering:
- when moving between lessons
- when queueing for lessons, toilets, lunch and buses in indoor areas
- when using toilets
- during break and lunch times in indoor areas
- other communal areas of the school
While eating in the dining area, pupils should remove face masks. Face coverings will not be worn during lessons. Students may wear them on the yard at break and lunch, if they wish, as well as when they arrive at and depart school.
To further protect against the transmission of the virus:
- students must clean their hands before and after touching their mask – including to remove or put it on. We advise the young people to come to school with a personal supply of hand sanitiser;
- they must store the mask in an individual, sealable plastic bag between use. Parents/carers will be responsible for ensuring their child’s mask is clean or new each day.
Form tutors will remind students about the guidelines on appropriate use, removal and storage of face coverings.
As previously stated, face coverings on buses are obligatory. Any students found to be removing their mask while on scholars’ buses will have their pass removed and be prohibited from using the service.
School has a limited stock of plain reusable masks. We encourage students to provide their own; however, we can supply them for a price of £1.50. Please contact the school office if you need us to provide a mask for your son or daughter.
Some individuals are exempt from wearing face coverings. This applies to those who:
- cannot put on, wear or remove a face covering because of a physical or mental illness, or impairment or disability
- speak to, or provide assistance to, someone who relies on lip reading, clear sound or facial expression to communicate.
If your child is, or you think may be, exempt please email firstname.lastname@example.org and write EXEMPTION FROM FACE COVERING as the subject.
Some of the young people may wish to wear a visor rather than a mask, or indeed both. Please contact the school office, by phone or at the e-mail address above, for further information if this applies to your son or daughter.
We hope that this will be a short-term measure until local cases are controlled.
We thank you for your continued support of the school.
Mr. B. Robson
Acting Head Teacher